Thursday, April 16, 2009

When the time comes to pick, I pick

Here's vid of the Ravens annual pre-draft press conference, with GM Ozzie Newsome and head coach John Harbaugh, and Director of Player Personnel Eric DaCosta, and the new director of college scouting, whose name I didn't catch. Ozzie says at the start, "I'd like to begin by thanking everyone for coming out to hear us talk basically about nothing, as we've done for the last 14 years..." And it's true they don't drop any bombs whatsoever. The occasional nice quote about a player, but mostly it's process-process-process.

Part 1, 24 mins
Part2, 20 mins

Very late in part 2, like around the 15-min mark, there's this:

Q: Ozzie, going into a draft, when you sit down the day of the draft, how much do you feel like you know how things will play out, and how much does the draft when it's all said and done deviate from what you had in your head?

A: Well, Eric knows everything about the draft. He knows who's going to get taken when, you know, what team is taking -- I mean, I got John Clayton calling me, I got Peter King calling me, I got everybody calling me. Gosselin. I get tons of information. But I was taught one thing when I was in high school: you can only catch a football when the ball gets there. So all I do is prepare myself. And when the time comes for me to pick, I pick.
I guess it's that simple.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP