Monday, February 28, 2011

"They're taking their ball and going home"

While I do my shopping on the weekends, I enjoy listening to various financial podcasts. One of the ones I enjoy is Freakanomics. This week's was titled "Millionaires vs. Billionaires." When I downloaded it, I thought maybe it'd be a discussion about the difference in attitude/work ethics/something that enables someone to be a billionaire instead of just a millionaire, or maybe something like that. So it surprised me a bit when the Monday Night Football music opened the show, and they said "Are you ready...for some labor negotiations?"

It was really interesting to listen to folks with an eye toward the financial side of thing speak for about a half hour on the subject. The really good part of this? Well, two things made this one stand out to me. First, these aren't a couple nerds just spewing on about the CBA from a financial sense; these are football fans lending insight into a side of the business of which they are experts.

Second, they don't just talk about it, they go out and speak with the major players in the battle. They spoke with DeMaurice Smith, Drew Brees, Brandon Jackson and others about it. The line they used was, "This week, team owners and the players union are behind closed doors with a federal mediator, and none of them are talking to the press. Fortunately, we spoke to everyone last week."

The podcast was an interesting look at things. I won't go into the details of it, there's too much for this to remain a short post, and I've linked where you can get it above. I'll just suggest you to go out and download it and give it a listen. I think there's a lot of interesting, and probably unknown, information out there for everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP